Saturday, April 25, 2009

day10 110km 5:28 legget

Slept under a gazebo last night at an rv park and didn't even set up my tent. Slept on top of this cot with a piece of plywood over the springs. Should have gotten a picture of it. I suck at remembering to take pictures of stuff. haven't been able to upload any because the library computers don't allow it. couldn't decide what to wear today because of the weather, overcast, and decided on 3/4 tights (knickers) and ls jersey with a base layer and short-fingered gloves. Rode through the 'avenue of the giants' and they were huge redwoods all over the place. I decided not to do the 'lost coast route' because in the description it said over 60 miles with over 6500 feet of climbing. Ouch! My achilles started acting up again and if I took my foot out of my shoe and pedaled with it on top it didn't hurt. I have been doing that on the flats and climbs and putting it back in for the added security of descending. Decided not to push it to legget ( there is a climb right after it). I went down to the river and tried to ice my foot in the water, but it wasn't very cold. I also massaged my achilles a little and tried to stretch my calf a little. At the hiker/biker site I met a couple of guys from N.Y who are riding prom portland to san fransisco. We decided to go up the road about a mile and split a pizza. You are always hungry and able to eat because your burning like 5-6000 calories a day. An oversize load truck came through and he honked right as he was passing me and chris. We were already almost in the ditch and I though 'we are gonna get sliced in half/run over by some wide thing on the back of this truck.' luckily nothing happened. The truck passed us and later we concluded that he was probably honking at a car in the oncoming lane to get over. We finished with the pizza as it was getting twilight and they stopped at a store, but I decided to go down to camp because I didn't bring any bike lights. I had my headlamp with me and with my helmet on it was somewhere between my eyes and my nose. Descending was scary, because the cars had their lights on and it would illuminate the road ahead of you and you didn't know if they saw you or not. Probably one of the top three dumbest things I've done on my bike. Made it back to camp safely though. I was sitting in my tent writing in my journal when i heard singing with a guitar. They played a couple
of songs I knew and then I thought 'I wish they would play some death cab'. The very next song played was I will follow you into the dark. I got out of bed and wandered over to their campsite and it was a girl (mariasa) singing and a guy (kieth) playing a guitar. They played about five or six more and then called it a night. It was really cool.

2 comments:

  1. "...couldn't decide what to wear today because of the weather, overcast, and decided on 3/4 tights (knickers) and ls jersey with a base layer and short-fingered gloves."

    You sound like a fashionista and a hobo at the same time. I love it. Hope you're doing alright. My number is 360-204-4232.

    -Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been like three days. You need to write more. You called me today and left a sweet, sweet message with your sweet, sweet voice. Have a good time in San Fransisco there hoss.

    ReplyDelete