Thursday, April 30, 2009

day12 115km 5:24 fort ross

Ate an orange for breakfast and stopped in albion for food. Met up with a guy named mike who was an officer in the navy for 12 years and had done a lot of touring with his wife. This was his first solo tour and he was taking his time. He spent 2 days in brandon and only rode 8 miles one day! I rode with him for a bit and had a lunch of hummus and tomato on bread. Hit a new top speed sometime today 77k/hr or 47m.p.h! Had a strong tailwind today and was feeling good and rode over 80km in 4rhs. Went into a ditch on an uphill, lost momentum trying to wave a car past and rode into a ditch. I had a little a moment after that and was like' screw it, i'm not waving any more cars through.' Later in the day I was riding up a hill and my rear wheel locked up. I pulled over and my left upper bolt and rear rigth bolt on my rear rack were missing. This had caused my load to lift back and rub on my rear tire. I replaced the bolts and checked that the rest of my bolts were tight. I hadn't eaten since lunch and was getting pretty low on energy and booked it to the campsite. I found a campsite dumped my stuff off and raced to a store up the road. I was almost shaking when I paid for my food can of coke, twix and cookies. I don't know why I didn't eat for 3 1/2 hours after lunch, but you know how it goes. Rode back to camp and finished up dinner, couscouswith veggies and a tylenol, when rob and chris rolled in. The campground host was awesome. He made us all ham and cheese sandwiches, a big bag of chips, chocolate and some firewood. One of the guys built a fire and we sat around for a bit talking. I finished airframe and my achilles hasn't gotten any worse or better. The heel lift seems to have helped and there is no new pains, so I don't think its affecting the mechanics of my pedalstroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment