Saturday, April 25, 2009

day8 ~135km in ~7:30 arcata

I always seem to ride better when I'm angry. I was angry today. Angry at myself, angry at california and angry I got a hotel room. Got out the door at 9 am and started a climb right away. Today was the longest day and most climbing i've done all trip, probably 3-4,000 feet. Met up with matt at a state park and he is going to stay with friends in mckinnleyville. Newton b. drury parkway was cool. A bunch of exotic cars passed me going the opposite way. I saw a maserati, bentley, ferrari's ect. Just after trinidad was a surf spot and the road was very bad and dirt/gravel in places. I had to pay very close attention to the path I was taking because of huge potholes, but managed to get through it o.k. Coming into arcata started on a bike path and then a bunch of flat windy farm roads. I remember taking a hard left hand turn on bad pavement and imagining I was in the tour of flanders. Stopped at an rv park, but they wanted $18 with no showers, so i continued on to a koa just past arcata. Did my laundry and got a hot shower. The town of arcata was pretty cool. I was on bike paths the whole time and there were tons of people riding. i wanted to hang out in town, but it was getting late and I hadn't set up accommodations for the night.Matt gave me his house number and said his roommates would be happy to put me up, but no one answered and I didn't feel like waiting around when it was getting late.

1 comment:

  1. Dave - All the guys at your regular Saturday ride say hi, especially sprinter Dan, Dave, Tom, big Jim and Chris. Dude, you must go to the Arcata coop, great place to stock up on food and to meet nice earthy women. You made it to CA in good time, nice work. We will be following you virtually and you never know who you will meet on the road - we may plan a surprise attack in Nevada somewhere...

    ReplyDelete