Saturday, April 18, 2009

day3 81km in 4:26 newport

Woke up and ate some oatmeal. It was very lightly sprinkling and I got drizzled on for a little over an hour, but it stopped just before lunch and it was cloudy for the rest of the day. Took a 1 lane road with a bike path that ran right along the coastline about 4-5 miles and it was awesome. Not a lot of cars and the sun would break through every once in a while and the tops of the waves would sparkle. The descent off it was nice and fun. Did some laundry at a laundromat and met my first eccentric guy who was walking a cross along the side of the highway with a wheel along the base of it.I talked to him for a couple of minutes, but he never answered why he was doing it. He didn't seem to be on anything or 'out there' at all. He wished me good luck and I did the same and I forgot to get his picture. how lame am I. I was debating wether to pick up some groceries or stop for dinner when I saw a little pizza joint and thought about it and ended up turning around and stopping in. I had a white spinach vegan pizza and it was great. One of the owners gave me a free beer off a new keg of rogue (rogue brewery is literally 5 miles away) he had brought in. The other owner told me if I stayed for a while he would give me a ride to south beach state park, so I stuck around to listen to a band that came in and played. A girl came over and asked about my bike and I told her about my trip and we talked for a while about all kinds of things. She also gave me acouple of her favorite book selections. Around 7-8ish I got a ride to the campground down the road and set up my tent in the dark and fell happily asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave! Your posts are so much fun to read, I'm really glad you're keeping us up with what you're doing. I'm glad you had a good day... I hope you're still happy (but not still asleep... you'd wake up really thirsty).

    ReplyDelete