Thursday, April 23, 2009

day7 122km 6:21 crescent city

A truck pulled in and out of the park last night. I woke up to it and waited for doors to open but there was nothing. There was a climb right after gold beach and I stoppeed in gold beach and bought some used books 'airframe' by crighton, 'eat to win' about sports nutrition from 1982 and some random classroom/education humor book. Now I won't lay in my sleeping bag for hours trying to fall asleep. Had another tailwind today and met a nice lady named barbara before smith river. She said she has a niece/granddaughter who wants to do this after she graduates college. Barbara was nice enough to offer me a glass of juice and some mixed nuts at her house which I gladly accepted. Her husband was shining some new brass fixtures they had gotten and it reminded me of my old job. Another georgeous day today and think that I burnt the outside of my elbows. After smish river I crossed into cali at 4pm and got a picture of the sign. I rode with an older black man for about 5 miles and he was riding an old hybrid. We talked about all kinds of cycling things, crashes, places to ride, cars, ect until he turned off on his street. I didn't see any signs for camping like in Oregon and it was getting late. Two cyclists, ron and his friend, talked to me and tried to give me directions to a campsite. I missed it the first time and only found rv parks, but found it on the way back. They wanted 18.75 and no showers,  so I gave ron a call and he checked around for me but he couldn't get in touch with anybody. I was pretty angry at this point and just decided screw it and got ahotel room, because I hadn't showered since 2 days ago and didn't want to camp out so close to a town. It was all right 47 bucks and I got a shower, washed my clothes in the sink and watched a stanley cup playoff game. I will just have to pay better attention next time.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, Sounds like your having a blast and meeting a lot of people. It is so great to be able to read your posts and follow you. I actually mentally picture a scruffy faced dude while i'm reading. Ride safe.

    ReplyDelete