Thursday, April 30, 2009

day15 125km 6:33 fairfield

Had an early start this morning. Got going around 8a.m. and my fingers were really cold. The stretch of road leaving the state park was bad, ruts and changing pavement and patches. There was a nice bike path coming into san fransisco and I saw a lot of cool little shops. Made a detour up some hill because I couldn't read my map correctly. Saw a lot of cyclists, 2-3 groups, solo riders, women riders. Everyone seemed to be wearing some type of kit. Don't any of these people have jobs. Just before the bridge I crested a hill and caught up to a land rover on the descent because it was kind of twisty and went through a speed trap at 38m.p.h. Rode over the golden gate bridge and it was nice. Got a couple of pictures of the bridge and then was starting down to the bike path and my front fender got caught in my fork. I put my fenders on backwards because I am an idiot and never changed them around. My front tire locked up and my back tire lifted up and I almost went over the bars before I coul unclip. I rode around the waterfront and ate at a restaurant called nonna rose's. The host spoke italian, french, spanish and english trying to entice people to come into the restaurant. I almost got t-boned by a bus while making a left turn. I got off the ferry, which was an hour, and tried to make it to the campsite for the night. I got a little turned around when I couldn't read a street sign for some reason. It was getting late and I was still over 12 miles away. I stopped in the town of fairfield at an iced craem cream shop and asked about any campgrounds. A man with his family suggested a day park about 5 miles away. I followed his directions which was the way I was heading anyways and found the park by a lake. It was pretty big and I just hung out under a picnic awning until everyone left and I had a couple of energy bars for dinner. I used my bike as a wind shield with my cover over it. Set up my pad and sleeping bag on top of a picnic table because I saw 2 snakes in the road today and was worried about them however irrational that is.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dave. I just found your site and started reading some of your entries. I could'nt quite figure out where you started riding from or where you are riding to, however. You should put this information up at the top or on the side so it is easy to find. That would help I think.

    It sounds like you are coming along just fine. How many days do you have left? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't these people have jobs?"

    Hmmmmmmmm....

    Just joking. Thanks for updating us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, just checking in on the blog. Stayed in San Francisco for a few days before getting back to Buffalo 2 days ago. It feels weird not being on a bike or in a tent. I hope things are going well, hope the achilles is acting better. Thanks again for Airframe, I liked it alot even though I read most of it while in an airport or in the air. -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. i keep thinkin about you man. finally got back on my bike and did a ride yesterday. of course it started raining...

    look forward to some more posts soon. hope you enjoyed the sierra nevadas! glad we were able to put you up for a while.

    ReplyDelete