Sunday, June 14, 2009

6/11 58 98mi 7:16 sebree,KY

Woke up to a little rain and my cycling clothes being soaked and having mud on them. I guess i'm wearing my other shorts/jersey pair today. Packed up all my wet stuff and headed out. I met up with mike in Elizabethtown and he ended up breaking his chain after he got all his spoke stuff figured out. He is rolling along on a walmart chain now! Met a guy named mack from seattle and he was heading west. Saw an omish guy and some omish girls today. Should have stopped in at thier store, but I wanted to make some miles today. Took a ferry for free into Kentucky across the ohio river and now Mike and I only have Kentucky and Virginia to go. I have ridden by the ohio, little arkansas and mississippi rivers without entering those states. I just think its kind of funny. We had heard about a church in sebree that was like a hostel adn they would feed you dinner for free, so we decided to try and make it there. We were about 20 miles from sebree and I started hammering it. I felt a little bad for mike, but he hung in there cadel evans on a mountain stage. We got absolutely pelted with rain. I mean it was coming down sideways and it stung your skin. A lady in an suv rolled up to us and told us there was a tornado warning until midnight for the county we were in. Me and mike looked at each other shrugged and told her we could make it to the next town which was only about 4-5 miles away. The road was pretty flat and we made really good time like 16-17m.p.h. average for that last little bit. We stopped and downed some coke and pushed on the last 12 miles to sebree. We only got rained on for about 45 minutes and then it stopped. Made it to the church just as it opened up again and were shown around by pastor rob. We each got a shower and then met 3 other cyclist who had just graduated and were going to the west coast. I don't remember their names, but I remember their nicknames poo man, red man, and chicken man. They were all pretty cool and we all ate dinner together at rob and violet's house. It was a lot af food and it was all very good. We finished with dinner and sat round fora bit. Around 11 o' clock i couldn't keep my eyes open any more and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment