Monday, June 8, 2009

6/5 52 73mi 6:11 fair grove,MO

I got a little bit cold last night and put on my pants in the middle of the night. Decided to try and get a hold of the guy in fair grove and stop there instead of continuing on to marshfield. I got in touch with him and had a lunch of peanut butter/jelly stripes on crackers. Went over a bridge that the road signs said was out, but the new bridge was almost complete and the construction workers let me cross without any trouble. Score another one for the cyclists which makes 3. Glad I didn't have to backtrack because it would have been a 20 mile detour or more. Had to go around some construction later in the day and had to go alongside a 2 lane 1-way highway for about a mile. Heading North I had a nice wide shoulder, but heading south I didn't have any shoulder at all and it was kind of scary. Stopped at the library in fair grove to wait for his call and he ended up showing up and gave me directions to his house. He told me the door was unlocked and to make myself at home. I found the house and took a shower and got cleaned up. It is very weird to be in a complete strangers house without them there. Tom showed up a little while later and I started talking to his wife. There was a knock on the door and 3 female touring cyclists had showed up. These were the first female riders I had seen all trip.
They were all really cool. A couple of them started in kentucky and one started in yorktown. We had spaghetti for dinner with some sketchy garlic bread, but it was really good. I contributed a little parmesian cheese to the mix. Tom and gale went out for a tandem bike ride and we all sat around and talked for a bit. I talked to tom about racing a little bit which was pretty cool. Tom gave me a velonews tour de france preview magazine to read and that was cool to catch up on some racing news before falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment