Tuesday, May 5, 2009

day19 112km ? somerset,ca

Woke up and it was raining on and off.ls jersey, raincoat, booties, knickers, no gloves. Started to rain kind of hard when I rode through sac st. to the american river bike trail. It was wierd because I ran in the american river half-marathon a year ago and I remember water stops and certain points along the course. They must have had it on saturday because there were still some barriers and a bunch of porta-potties by the start/finish line. Saw a lot of cyclists and runners. It was raining on and off, but it wasn't cold. It felt like june to me. The trail is nice, but there were some big puddles that covered the whole trail. It took you all the way into fulsom and was probably 25-30 miles long. I passed some type of collegiate crew competition they were having on a lake or something. I climbed about 1000ft total to get to placerville and then sort of stair-stepped after that. My right rear pannier bolt came out agian and I had tostop and replace it. Chucked my rear fender. They have been nothing but problems. My front fender I threw in the trash in san fransisco. A policeman stopped his suv and asked if I was o.k. while I was replacing the bolt. Decided to camp at sly campground which was 6 miles out of the way and I regret it. 6 miles of climbing!!! I was climbing for 50 minutes. I finally get to the campsite and there are pit toilets and no showers. A guy, john, and his dog were there and when he went to start up his truck it wouldn't start. He used my phone and made a couple of phone calls to try and get a jump. A van was passing by a while later which he flagged down and got a jump from. A couple was driving the vand and the husband, ed, had done some touring along the coast of oregon last year. He was great and offered to help me out If I ran into trouble over carson pass. John was awesome too. He gave me 2 sodas and some leftover chow mein he wasn't going to eat. A truck stopped by sometime after dark and drove around before asking me where the guy was who needed the jump. I told him that he had gotten a jump earlier and he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment