Monday, May 18, 2009

day29 57mi 5:46 panguitch,UT

Grabbed a cup of o.j. and 2 small danishs from the continental breakfast and then ate breakfast at a cafe around the corner. Got on the road and there was about 3 miles of slightly rising roller and then the climb started right away. Met an english guy named chris from essex,U.K. and we rode together for about 40 minutes. IT was difficult to talk and climb at the same time. I was gasping for breath. Anything above around 8,000ft and I can't get a full breath. Chris pulled off and I followed him, we ate alittle and thenIwas getting chilly so I started up again. Route 148 was closed and I decided to go for it because I could always turn around and come back down if it was too bad. The road was dry and I went around the sign and started climbing. I had already passed a sign for 9900ft and I knew I only had about 600ft of climbing left. 3 park vehicles came down the road and I flagged the last one down and he said that it was clear except for a couple of patches of snow. THe road wound around these high alpine meadows and it was wonderful not having to worry about cars. I saw some fantastic panorama views and got some pictures. I didn't see a summit sign which was a little disappointing. I came to the end and went around the closed sign and sat down for lunch. Score another one for the cyclists which makes 2, but the cars are still winning. I iced my achilles in a snowbank as I ate some peanut butter/banana crackers. A guy on a time trial bike saw me and came over to talk. He was doing about 15,000 ft/climbing that day. The first nine miles of the descent were fun except for the cracks in the road. My butt did not like those at all. I camped at a koa and should have kept going because it was only 4:30. I['m getting kind of sick paying $20 just to sleep on some grass and get a shower, maybe. Walked to the store to get some groceries and saw a handcycle on a trailer. I aksed a man I saw if it was his and he said 'yes.' I talked with him for a bit and he said that he rides up 6-7 miles up the road and then turns around and comes back down. That road is uphill and steep. I hit 40+ coming into town. It was very humbling and grounding to talk to him. It kind of slapped me across the face and made me realize that I'm not doing anything compared to him. I ate dinner and was laying in my tent and decided to eat another dinner in town. I had some brisket whichI've never had before and it was good even though it was expensive. I came out to my bike and someone had tried to cut my bike lock. I left all my bags at camp, but I was still a little disappointed. I guess you just have to be carefull wherever you are. Went back to my tent and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment