Monday, May 18, 2009

day32 113mi 8:20 17mi E of hite rec. area

Got an early start and stopped at the capitol reef visitor center. looked at a map of Colorado and boulder is only 150 miles from pueblo. Think I'll visit those girls in Boulder it the offer is still open. Stopped just before hanksville and gave a hitchhiker who was going to mexico some water and chatted with him for a bit. Made good time into hanksville and loaded up on water and set off for the hite recreation area. Its was 50 miles away and mostley flat to downhill with a few little wrinkles. The first 85 miles of the day were flat/downhill and I was flying. I felt good and just enjoyed the riding.Saw 2 touring cyclists heading west. Made it to hite, but the store closed at 4 and it was 4:30. I asked a guy in a truck there if there was anything else open and he said no, but his wife was closing up and would ask if she could let me get some stuff. His wife said yes and I got a gatorade, fruit cocktail, candy and ice cream bar. I went over to the visitor center which waas also closed and cooked up some dinner. Then I laid down for about an hour ant rested. I filled up my bottles and wrung out my shirt in the sink to give me some cooling when I started. Every mile that I did that evening was one less that I had to do tomorrow in the heat of the day. It was 75 miles until blanding and there was about 5000 ft of climbing. All the downhill that I had today I have to climb up tomorrow. Pulled off to the side of the road and set up my tent and tried to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment