Monday, May 18, 2009

day33 90mi 9:09 6mi E of monticello,UT

Woke up really early and ate some nuts and chocolate chips since I didn't pick up anything for breakfast that didn't use water. Got on the road and it was mostly rollers. Stopped about 3 and a half hours in and ate some peatut butter slathered on granola bars. Decided to wait until 20 miles to town before the mike and ikes and 10 miles to go before the can of pepsi. Didn't really start to get hot until 4 hrs into the ride. About 17 miles into the ride I realized that I would have enough water and left one of my 51oz bottles on the side of the road for someone who needed it more than me. 10 miles before blanding the road turned into a wall. The road was about 5-12% for about 3/4 of a mile. I was having difficulty turning over the pedals and I was sweating lke crazy. I could feel the dull ache creeping into my legs and just tried to relax as much as possible. Sweat running down your glasses leaving streaks. Breathing like your hyperventilating. Trying to relax everything as much as possible, so much that your lower lips quivers when you hit a bump in the road. Nothing matters except the summit and just deal with it. Its only pain.
It will end....eventually. All over the bike, clawing your way up the mountain. Your mind is forcing your body to continue. No other thought except to keep pumping your legs. Finally at last the summit. Now you find that little bit extra click up 2 gears and stand as you punch over the top. I don't know why I like climbing so much. Maybe its the views, the suffering, the exhilerating descents, watching others blew up behind you, because its there, i'm not sure. Got into blanding and ate a salad and burrito at a restaurant. The library was closed and after waiting around for the heat to die down I continued on and pulled off to the side of the road as it was getting dark. Longest day in the saddle yet. I will be in Colorado tomorrow and crawl over 11,000ft lizard head pass the day after.

2 comments:

  1. Go Dave! Awesome miles on a loaded bike at altitude! You are kickin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Dave! Thanks for describing the climb, I almost feel like I'm awesome like you and actually doing it...? Maybe. How nice of you to leave water behind. I'm sure someone will need it. :)

    Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm really glad to know how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete