Thursday, May 21, 2009

day35 64mi 5:50 ridgway,Co

Had a really weird time getting going this morning. I don't know what it was. Just didn't want to ride my bike. Made some oatmeal, which I bought in northern California and hopped on the ol saddle. Decided to try and make it over 2 passes today, lizard head and devils gate. The first pass was very gradual and I met a guy named nicky (sp) who was riding from chicago to phoenix. Talked to him for a while and continued on. 4 miles from the summit of lizard head it started to rain, 2.5 miles and it started to snow/sleet. Summited and then went down the wet descent. Rain really hurts when you are going 40+. There were a couple more uphills before the final descent started and by the time I got to the bottom I was soaked and my hands weren't working very well. Stopped at a gas station and ate a baked potato and warmed up with some hot chocolate. Climbed over devils gate which was very gradual and got rained on that descent too. Hit a new top speed today.58m.p.h. in the rain and wind. I was hoping to touch 60 but it wasn't to be. If you honestly think about it, I am in more danger riding in a paceline going 25m.p.h. than alone on a descent. Unless something catastrophic happens I'm in not much danger at all. Stopped in at a bike shop in ridgway and then warmed up with some chai tea at a place called cups. Met a guy there named Aria who offered to let me use his shower and sleep in his backyard instead of paying for camping. This sounded great since I was soaked and was covered in road grime. He is gay and lived with his partner bailey. Aria made some homemade tortillas and we had fajitas for dinner then sat around and talked. He rode from astoria to san fransisco when he was 17 with a bunch of other kids his age. Talked about books and life for abit before I headed off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment