Monday, May 18, 2009

day31 71mi 6:50 torrey,UT

Had breakfast at the couple that runs the place's house and had swedish pancakes, fruit, granola,toast,yogurt. I loaded up on food. The 3 guys passed me going to a waterfall and slowed down to chat for a little. THe waterfall looked cool, but my legs don't have the energy for that and it was 6 miles roundtrip in sandals, not good. Came down into a canyon and had some vicious rollers 10-14% and then back down again thenup again. That really took the starch out of my legs. There were big red rock cliffs that rose up on both sides fo you. Stopped at an Anasazi museum which was pretty interesting. The 'kokopelli' figure was actually a flute player who would entrance the villages with his music and then ferform lewd acts with members of the opposite sex. Kind of funny that you see that symbol everywhere now. Met a guy who had just finished an outdoor survival school in boulder and talked to him while I ate lunch. The 3 guys passed me again about 3 and a half hours into the ride to tell me the big climb was just ahead. they asked how my legs were and I told them they were dead. It was about 9 miles of climbing with a couple of false summits at the top. I suffered like a dog up that climb. I got some shade with about 4 miles left to climb which was a relief. I stopped to take a picture at an overlook and felt a couple of drops of rain. I put on my vest and started agian right away. Made it to the summit and put on armwarmers for the descent. Almost caught backup to a group of bikers after putting on my vest. That would have been cool. ! of my 51oz bottles of water slipped off of my front left pannier and exploded behind me. Lucky it didn't roll under my wheel as I was going about 30m.p.h. at the time. Camping just past torrey on the side of the road with a bunch of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment