Monday, May 11, 2009

day25 82mi 6:21 ely,NV

Woke up and had breakfast with leeann and collin at 7:30. She made homemade biscuits and some egg,potato, sausage goulash. I filled up and had a couple of glasses of water for the day ahead. I hepled them load a 4wheeler onto a trailer and slipped on the loading ramp. I was o.k. and we got it on there without any trouble. I started out and immediately thought that something was wrong with my legs, but I was going up a false flat. Most of the terrain here is gradual climbing and descending with a valley in between. The terrain was gradual 6-10mph on the uphills and 15-30 on the downhills. I ate an apple and banana a couple of hours into my ride at the top of a summit and planted the apple core and poured a little bit of water on it to help it grow. Hopefully it will grow, but I'm not holding my breath. It has been a little greener today thatn the other days though. There has been little tufts of grass on the side f the road. not a lot, but some. Saw a deer or baby elk? on the opposite side of the road from me and it stayed about 100-150yds ahead of me trying to find a gap in the fence. After about 10 minutes of pedaling it finally found one, slipped through and bounded away from me. You don't see that in car. That is what is so neat about riding is that you see things that you normally wouldn't notice or find. Same thing with hiking. Anyway, I left a full 32oz bottle of water on the side of the road 30 miles before ely because I had enough to make it to and hopefully someone else could use it if they ran into trouble. I was peeing a lot more today and actually went while riding twice because I didn't want to stop. You just get going on a downhill, check the wind direction lean over to the left, check for traffic and go for it. Be quiet, its not that gross pros do it all the time and usually a teammate pushes them, opposite side of course. I rolled into ely and was excited to stay in a hostel, but no one knew what or where a hostel was so I camped at a koa down the road. Chatted with a girl who worked at the koa about my trip and about the navy since she contepplating maybe going in as a d.c.man or woman to be pc. Ate my last can of expired mixed veggies mar31 with some tuna and couscous. Had some fruit cocktail for desert. A biker (biker=motorcycle) stopped by and inquired about my trip and the gear I was using. Another of the koa employees stopped by and chatted with me for a while because he used to go cycling when he lived in massachusetts. Took a shower and noticed a lump on my right underarm, looks like an insect bite and I wil keep my eye on it. The 80 miles today didn't feel nearly as bad as going to eureka. I was better hydrated and left earlier in the day. I had to stop a couple of times for the pain in my right inside quad, but it would come and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment